So, I decided to jump on the increasingly large Monoprice bandwagon and get one of the amazing $200 printers.
First, I had to calibrate the bed height as instructed. The manual said that a sheet of A4 paper, which should be 0.05mm thick, would be able to slip in between the hotend nozzle and the bed when it was calibrated properly. I was planning on using a normal sheet of printer paper for this, but after breaking out the digital calipers I discovered that the printer paper I own is around .1mm thick.
This seemed like it was going to turn into some wild goose chase for .05mm thick paper, but I discovered that some college ruled paper that I had lying around would do the trick. The process of adjusting the bed height was very simple, as I only needed to rotate the screws a quarter turn before it was at the right height.
So then, it was off to printing. It works remarkably well with Cura – I had no issues, and it produced great prints.
Of course, I had to make a mistake somewhere, so I accidentally jammed the remnants of the sample white filament while trying to load some black Hatchbox filament. While fixing the problem, I got to take a closer look at the hotend – the Bowden tube is really only held on by pressure from one screw.
All in all, I’m satisfied with the printer, and I’m excited to start printing some cool models!